Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spem in Alium

It is amazing how much music You Tube now has on it. I had no problem finding performances of Yo Yo Ma and M. Rostropovich doing Beethoven's Cello Sonata #4 (Opus #102), and there were others as well. I therefore looked for one of my all time favorite pieces, Spem in Alium, and found it uploaded in several forms, the 40 part motet composed by Thomas Tallis. The link above is to the most listened-to posting. The sound is amazing. It may be that that is because the video is minimized with a slow slide show. I was using some good quality speakers in class and it came through amazingly well. The link is on the title or can be found here. Lyrics translated from the Latin appear below courtesy of Wikipedia.

I have never put my hope in any other but in you,
O God of Israel
who can show both anger
and graciousness,
and who absolves all the sins of suffering man
Lord God,
Creator of Heaven and Earth
be mindful of our lowliness

No comments:

Post a Comment