Sunday, April 5, 2009

Canal Walk



North Gower Street is not far from Regent's Park, where I started a walk this morning to the Primrose Hill area. London has a truly surprising amount of open space in the many parks. Regent's Park includes Winfield House which is the Ambassador's residence and where Barack Obama stayed recently.

While walking from North Gower to Primrose Hill, I passed by the Fengchang Chinese restaurant which is on the Regent's Canal. After summiting Primrose Hill, I looked forward to lunch there and found it uncrowded, pleasant with good food. A Thai-style Basil Chicken with white rice was 13.50 BP including service. After lunch I dropped down to canal level from a stairway a bit west of the restaurant.

I headed east to get to the Camden Town Underground station. It was wonderful to walk along the canals again, but I did have some misgivings since this was Sunday, the day of the Camden Market which has continued to grow since I was last in London in 2004. The Camden Town Tube station is often overwhelmed. So I hoped for the best. Here is a shot of the canal just east of the Fengchang restuarant.

The Canal route is really a shortcut to the Camden Town Station and I soon found myself in the Camden Lock area and the beginnings of the crowds from the market, not lessened by being well into the early afternoon. The crowds were good natured in the vicinity of Camden Lock 17. [Above]

No comments:

Post a Comment